Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Public Assistance Can Be Sickening Sometimes

Being in online sales I talk to a lot of people from all over the states on a daily basis. I have a lot of "interesting" conversations and talk to some great people and also some really strange people.

Some people I feel compassion for and others just make me ticked off. Not necessarily at the individual but at their environment they grew up and/or live in. The other day I talked to a young guy, about 22 years old. Never had a job, parents (Dad and Dad's girlfriend) told him he shouldn't go to College, and he was living with friends because he couldn't stand his father's girlfriend. I don't blame the kid about not liking the girlfriend. She was a witch to me on the phone as well! Anyway, I try to find out why this guy wants to go to college and I struggle to find any real drive in his life. Turns out, the kid has been on disability for years for ADHD making $674 a month.


That's right, apparently people can get on disability for ADHD. That is ridiculous!!! You are telling me that you can't work because you get distracted and hyper sometimes? Pop a pill and get your butt employed. You have a short attention span? Be a cashier, you meet new people every few minutes and you are constantly busy swiping and bagging. Get a grip man.

I agree that we need public assistance programs, but crap like this seriously pisses me off. Doing a quick bit of research you can find out what you need to get on disability. Websites like THIS tell you exactly what you need to get on disability. I understand people need help knowing what they need but the title "disability secrets" seems to have the connotation of cheating the system.

To me disability for ADHD is like the laughable medical marijuana phenomenon. Anyone can walk down the street and obtain a medical marijuana card for $40-100. One doctor gave a MJ card to a patient because they "sit at a computer all day" and it helps with the strain on vision.


I think everyone agrees that public assistance is flawed. Too many people abuse the system. You want to cut spending America, tighten the leash on your assistance. Drug test before people can get help. Have tiers in the system. The more you try to get out of your situation, the more help you can get. I have talked to people in states that demand you put in hours at a job help center in order to get unemployment. I heard of one individual that was laid off, found a job for less pay but when she won the unemployment case walked off her job because unemployment was close or a little more than what she made at the new job. Where is the sense of pride? Where are the values of putting in a hard day's work?

No comments:

Post a Comment